Southampton | Chair Volunteer Opportunity
Date first listed: 19th July 2022
Are you looking to get more involved with your local committee? Are you well organised and good at keeping people on track during meetings? Then we have the perfect role for you! Southampton Area Association are looking for a new Chair to lead the overall day to day management of the Area.
This is an opportunity for the right person to make a real difference to how the Area operates. There is ample scope for innovative thinking and practical application to modernise the role.
Full training and support will be provided, and volunteer hours may vary due to the nature of the role. Out of pocket expenses will be paid.
In terms of the commitment required, meetings take place regularly month and there is an annual AGM usually held in March.
- To lead the overall day to day management of Southampton Area Association
- To communicate with fellow officers (Secretary and Treasurer), committee members and to keep Southampton Area Association members up to date
- To chair Southampton Area Association meetings, including the AGM
- To liaise with Southampton Area Association Secretary on the agenda for each meeting
- To liaise with CSSC Head Office and your Volunteer Team Leader
- To oversee the duties of the Treasurer and Secretary and to provide back up where necessary
- To use the provided CSSC email account for all communications relating to Southampton Area Association
- Ensure that the association is financially sound, carry out regular checks on the books and bank accounts
- Ensure that the committee are updated on the financial position regularly and be involved with the setting of budgets
Skills and abilities
- Experience of management through committees would be useful, though not essential
- An ability to Chair meetings
- Good leadership and team work skills
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Good time-keeping
- An ability to work as part of the volunteer management team
- Ability to ensure decisions are taken and followed-up
- IT literate
How much time will I need to give?
- Between 2-4hrs per week depending on the time of year / AA plans.
What support is there for the Area Association Chair?
- You will have support and guidance from your Volunteer Team Leader.
- You will be supported by the other members of the AA committee.
- The Association will reimburse all agreed acceptable out of pocket expenses.
Is this volunteer opportunity open to disabled people?
Yes. CSSC with all its constituent groups fully supports the principles and spirit of equal opportunities and is committed to ensuring that all individuals are treated fairly and on an equal basis.
Full training can be provided with a great support structure to help you settle in. A basic background in working with Microsoft Word and Outlook is essential. You will also be expected to attend Area meetings and occasional workshops and training as required.
This outline is offered as basic guidance and for adaptation to suit local circumstances.
Benefits of volunteering with CSSC
- training opportunities
- strengthen your CV
- obtain references for employment reviews
- build a new network of friends and contacts and boost your confidence and communication skills
- A specific Role email address will be provided.
For more information about this volunteer role or an informal chat please email Chris Edge or call 07958 966458.
Current tasks include: Maintain an accurate, up to date record of all financial transactions. Promptly pay in all cash/cheques received to the Association's bank/building society account. Prepare financial budgets and statements for review by the Area Association. Prepare accounts for inspection for the annual year-end to be presented at the AGM and also for...Read more
Are you, or is someone you know, looking for an opportunity to boost your CV or create career opportunities in accounting or bookkeeping? Have you a talent for balancing the books and creating financial reports? Are you looking to be part of a team to open up networking possibilities and...Read more
Are you looking to get more involved with your local area and CSSC, enthusiastic about our members and keen to try new things and engage with people? CSSC in the Reading Area (Berkshire and South Bucks) are looking for volunteers to support their local areas, organising events and activities which...Read more