Gardening Lead – Exeter & Torbay
Date first listed: 2nd August 2021
Become a CSSC volunteer today! CSSC is a volunteer organisation, with each Area run by a volunteer team comprising of a Volunteer Coordinator, Administrator and Financial Officer; along with other volunteers who perhaps run local events, local sport, help out with marketing or communications i.e., social media and website updates, administrate draws or ticket offers and many more ways.
CSSC Exeter & Torbay is looking for enthusiastic volunteers who would be willing to start up and support activities, create social media presence and hold events to get members engaged in their gardens.
CSSC Exeter & Torbay would like to promote gardening to our members. Throughout lockdown, gardening has been a really popular subject on our website and we know that a lot of our members have found a new love for their green (or green-ish!) fingers.
We are looking for an individual who would be willing to lead a gardening revolution in the South West! You don’t need to be a professional- just a keen gardener who is willing to share knowledge, inspire others and encourage engagement.
This role is likely to be mainly online- virtual meet ups, a Facebook Page, maybe a blog or emailed newsletter to those who engage. We would like to create a community of like-minded people, offering support, guidance, advice and a friendly atmosphere.
In the future the role has potential to develop to meet up’s- trips to gardens and maybe more- but currently we are working within local restrictions.
More about the Gardening Lead
- Setting up and maintaining CSSC Exeter & Torbay Facebook Gardening Group - plus Twitter if you fancy it
- Welcoming people to the group and making them feel comfortable
- Offering virtual meetings on a regular basis
- Offering tips and weekly ‘to do’ lists for the garden via social media
- Leading and managing the group
- Making sure in the event of any ‘in person’ activities taking place, that the activity is welcoming, friendly, enjoyable and safe:
- Trouble-shooting and dealing with problems online/ at activities, and working with your local committee and other volunteers
- Attending occasional meetings and refresher training
Full training and support will be provided,
What amount of time should I expect to dedicate?
We take a flexible approach to this and accommodate the volunteer depending on availability/circumstances. This role is predominantly online- so can be completed at your convenience. We would suggest a monthly meeting online, plus three posts per week on social media.
In terms of any activity and anything else you’d like to do-that’s up to you!
- Basic knowledge and understanding of CSSC and how it operates (not essential as support and background can be provided)
- A keen interest in gardening, and a knowledge of social media
- A can-do attitude – willing to undertake tasks that arise
- Willing and able to be part of a team regionally, and locally
- Good online, social media, organisational and administration skills are required
- Willing to think differently to ensure the role is successful and that we maximise participation
Skills and abilities:
What are we looking for? The main skill we need from our Gardening Lead is clearly demonstrated enthusiasm for gardening and inspiring others to get their hands dirty! In addition, we love our volunteers to be:
- Friendly, welcoming and empowering with good communication skills
- Observant and sensitive to the needs of others
- Knowledgeable about their subject- and keen to share
- Reliable, punctual, honest and well-organised
- Able to work independently but with guidance and support
- Confident at speaking in front of small groups online and in person
- Able to take control and be assertive when needed
In exchange for your commitment and enthusiasm you will:
- Have access to training opportunities
- Be able to strengthen your CV, and share your knowledge and passion for gardening
- Opportunity to develop your leadership, people management and other skills
- Opportunity to meet new people- including like-minded volunteers and members
- Opportunity to develop your online skills, and use of social media
- Boost your wellbeing, confidence and communication skills- and support others to do the same!
The Cotswolds Area Association are looking for a Leisure Event Organiser (volunteer) to assist with the planning, and running of future leisure events and trips for local members and their families. If you like planning activities, this is a fantastic opportunity for you to demonstrate and build your skills in...Read more
At CSSC, a major part of our vision is to inspire members to explore new and exciting ways to make the most of their leisure time. If you enjoy exploring new opportunities for activity, have great organisation and communication skills and are looking to being part of a friendly team...Read more
Are you, or is someone you know, looking for an opportunity to be involved in the wider aspects of sports events management? Have you a talent for Pool and organising mini competitions? If so, why not be a part of something and volunteer with CSSC Sports & Leisure! CSSC is a not-for-profit organisation aimed at present and past public sector workers which positively promotes health and wellbeing. ...Read more