If you’re one of the 60% of people who make a New Year’s resolution, did you know you’ve got a much greater chance of sticking to it, if you join a club or incorporate some kind of social element?
Involving others in your commitment can help provide the support, encouragement and enthusiasm we all need at times to drive us forward. And that’s where we come in.
As a member of CSSC you’ve got a wealth of experience, expertise and determination at the touch of your fingertips to inspire you to achieve great things. As well as our know-how on sports, fitness, leisure pursuits and wellbeing, we’ve got hundreds of useful tools and techniques to complement our range of discounted facilities, equipment, sports and activities to help you achieve your goals.
Let us be the spark that fires your imagination
Whatever you're challenging yourself to this year, try planting a few simple seeds to see what grows and let us know how you're getting on. We'd love to hear about your journey and how we might be able to help #csscresolutions.
- Start off small - Don't expect too much, too soon. Build up gradually to get better each time.
- Record your progress - Keep a diary or use a motion tracking app. Celebrate successes.
- Use technology - If a smart watch is not for you, try running aps or online videos to get inspired.
- Make it social - Join a gym, fitness class or running club to find like-minded people, or join with a friend.
- What floats your boat - If you find you're not enjoying yourself, try something else until you find that special activity.
- Be adventurous - Create a list of 12 things you've always wanted to do and pick one at random each month. Research online how you might be able to have a go.
- Check CSSC – Look at Things to Do or Everyday Savings, to find an activity you’ve never seen before.
- Be spontaneous – Planning your year ahead can help with the weather, but try to say yes, to a last-minute invite.
- Be alphabetical – Think of an activity for each letter of the alphabet and see if you can save money with your membership.
- Be social – If you can’t encourage a friend to join you, look for an online community or local club with CSSC or online.
- Try volunteering – Create a list of causes you’re passionate about and research how you can get involved. Start volunteering with CSSC for a community that really cares about health and wellbeing.
- Join a club – whether you’re into sport, reading, knitting, or skydiving, there’s a club or organisation for you. If you’re nervous about meeting new people, take a friend or family member the first time.
- Look for online communities – Use the power of the internet in bringing people together to find like-minded friends all over the world. Start with social media and broaden your search to online chat communities.
- Stay local – Village halls, community centres and churches often advertise social events, from dancing to crochet, for every age and ability.
- It’s not all work, work, work – If you have a communal area or notice board at work, try advertising a group you’re interested in forming. Or display a suggestion box for ideas from colleagues.
- Check CSSC – Get into a routine of looking for voucher codes, deals, discounts and cashback online, especially for larger purchases. If MySavings+ can’t help, try Money Saving Expert or other recommended safe sites.
- Try budgeting – Spreadsheets aren’t just for work. List all your incomings and outgoings and if there’s a shortfall, prioritise your outgoings into essentials and nice-to-haves.
- Do-it-yourself – Try making your own lunches for a month and record how much you save. If this is successful, try cooking your meals at home instead of ready meals or eating out and save any leftovers for next day lunches or dinners. Small change, soon adds up.
- Switch and Save - Check our partners including Civil Service Insurance Society (CSIS) to see if you can save on any of your domestic or utility bills.
- It’s good to talk – If you call your existing utility providers such as mobile phones, internet or TV packages, you may be able to negotiate a better deal, than just using their website.
However you intend to make a change this year, let CSSC help.
Happy New Year!