Explore the past
Immerse yourself in the epic myths and legends at the heart of Wales's iconic ancient monuments and learn about the people and events that helped shape some of the world's best castles, chapels and neolithic sites.
Immerse yourself in the epic myths and legends at the heart of Wales's iconic ancient monuments.
Cadw manages 130 historic properties on behalf of the Welsh Government. The story of Wales can be told through our landscapes and our townscapes and in the countless historic buildings and ancient monuments that are all around us.
Cadw are delighted to be opening 18 of their 25 staffed heritage sites, as a phased reopening from the beginning of August. Each site will have specific measures in place to keep everyone safe, including compulsory online booking in advance.
To find out which sites are reopening and when, please visit the Cadw website.
A selection of Cadw’s unstaffed, outdoor monuments have also reopened from 6 July. There’s no need to book your visits to these free-to-enter unstaffed sites.
All visitors need to book their visits at least 24 hours in advance and arrive during a designated time slot. Initially, sites will be open 5 days a week, with individual site ‘open days’ available at point of purchase.
Visitors without a pre-booked slot will be turned away.
Tickets will be available for either morning or afternoon slots for each monument. Morning sessions are 10am-1pm and the afternoon sessions are 2pm-5pm.
Book your visit
To book your free tickets as a CSSC member, visit the Cadw website and follow the below guidance:
- Choose the site you wish to visit under ‘location’ and select the date range you wish to visit during. You do not need to choose an ‘event type’
- Scroll down to ‘Book Tickets’ and choose the site you wish to visit.
- Choose the date and time of your visit.
- Choose ticket type ‘CSSC Adult’ for yourself and one accompanying adult guest. Select ‘CSSC Child’ for up to three accompanying children.
- Select ‘Add to basket’ and proceed through the check out.
- Place your order and you’ll receive a confirmation email, followed by your tickets, which will contain QR codes for each visitor. If you do not receive your tickets, please check your junk / spam folder.
- To gain entry to the site you will need to show your tickets when you arrive, either as a print out or on your mobile device.
- You will also need to show your digital CSSC membership card, alongside your pre-booked tickets to gain entry. There may be limited internet coverage at the entry point, so tap on your digicard before setting off. It will stay live on your phone for three days.
- Please check the Cadw website ahead of your visit to ensure sites are open and to check the most up-to-date information on safety measures and parking.
Keeping you safe
To keep everyone safe, Cadw have introduced a number of measures at open sites. Measures include:
- Reduced visitor capacity across all sites to allow for effective social distancing.
- New social distancing and essential hygiene measures are in place across all sites- including but not limited to regular deep cleans and the installation of plastic partition screens at entry points.
When visiting, please follow the guidelines set by the Welsh Government at all times, taking any changes into account as the weeks and months progress.
- Free entry for CSSC Members, one other adult and a maximum of 3 children (under 16).
Simply show your CSSC membership card and photo ID to gain access.
This offer does not include special event days where Cadw may charge an additional fee.
The following Cadw sites are excluded from this offer:
- Carreg Cennen Castle
- Weobley Castle
- Dolwyddelan Castle
- Margam Stones Museum
- Chirk Castle
All year round.